Peripheral Vision Tech LTD (PV) (Reading UK), have developed a Solid state Tape drive with emulation capability aimed at Legacy systems. This is an RS422 tape drive with no moving parts in a 3.5” form factor. Data is stored on an industry standard industrial strength Compact Flash (CF) card, which can be easily removed, and treated as a replacement for the tape cartridge. The CF card can then be plugged into a Windows PC and the data archived. It has a standard RS422 interface and is a plug & play replacement for the STR-812 tape drive used in legacy systems.
When connected to a Host system, the Host sees the FlashTape as a regular STR-812 Tape dive. It is a single printed circuit board (PCB) controller, that bridges the CF card to an RS422 bus. The FlashTape product accepts the same DB37 RS422 data donnector as the original Electronic Processors STR-812 Tape drive. The card accepts 5 volt power, and is usually packaged in an external enclosure suitable for the host system.
- Solid state tape drive that uses an industry strength standard Compact Flash (CF) Card as its storage.
- No Host software or hardware modifications are necessary. Plug & Play operation.
- The original drive can simply be removed and replaced by the FlashTape. Cable connectivity is the same.
- -48V power is replaced by a conventional 110-220VAC power, via a standard IEC power cord
- DB37 RS 422 Rear connector.
- Tape capacities only limited by current CF cards (currently 256 GB).
- No moving parts. Rugged. Overcomes the reliability problems of ageing tape drives.
- Vastly improved reliability and MTBF over the original drive.
- Allows backup data to be stored on small and rugged media.
- Eliminates problems of slow backups shoe-shining the tape drive, which eventually leads to traditional tape failures.
- Removable low-cost Flash card can be treated as a single tape media.
- Write Protect available either via a front panel switch or via the CF cards that come with integral Write protect switches.
- Existing STR-812 tapes can be copied to CF cards allowing future-proofing of existing backup data.
- PV aim the product as a low-cost way to give extra life for Legacy Hosts which would otherwise need to use unreliable second-hand drives.