Peripheral Vision Tech LTD (PV) (Reading UK), have developed a Solid state Disk drive with Hitachi emulation capability aimed at Legacy systems. This is a SCSI Disk drive with no moving parts. Data is stored on an industry standard industrial strength Compact Flash (CF) card, which can be easily removed, and treated as a replacement for the disk media data. The CF card can then be plugged into a Windows PC and the data archived. It has a standard SCSI2 interface and can be configured to replace those hard-to-find Hitachi disk drives used in legacy systems.
When connected to a SCSI Host, the Host sees the SCSICFDisk as a regular Hitachi hard disk drive. It is a single printed circuit board (PCB) controller, that bridges the CF card to a SCSI bus. When attached to a host computer’s SCSI bus, the SCSICFDisk device appears as a SCSI target (Disk drive). The card accepts 5 volt power and SCSI signals via standard connectors.
- SCSI solid state disk that uses an industry strength standard Compact Flash (CF)Card as its data storage.
- Typically 3.5” form factor. However various form factors are available so that the product is a mechanical match for the original drive.
- No Host software or hardware modifications are necessary. Plug & Play operation.
- The original drive can simply be removed and replaced by the SCSICFDisk. Cable connectivity is the same.
- Low Power, 5V only-- less than 400Ma. Power is supplied via a standard disk power connector.
- Standard 50 pin SCSI2 interface. SCSI2 transfer rates of (up to) 10 Mbytes/sec.
- 68-pin SCSI3 and 80-pin SCA connector versions available.
- Disk capacities only limited by current CF cards (currently 256 GB).
- No moving parts. Rugged. Overcomes the reliability problems of ageing disk drives.
- Vastly improved reliability and MTBF over the original drive.
- The SCSI SCSICFDisk can be configured to emulate & replace those unreliable (or hard to repair) SCSI disk drives for legacy systems.
- Optional HVD interface via a plug-in daughter card.
- Allows backup data to be stored on small and rugged media.
- Eliminates problems of slow backups shoe-shining the disk drive, which eventually leads to traditional disk failures.
- Removable low-cost Flash card can be treated as a single disk media.
- Can be dual-ported so that two or more Hosts can share the unit.
- Existing disks can be copied to CF cards allowing future-proofing of existing backup data.
- PV aim the product as a low-cost way to give extra life for Legacy Hosts which would otherwise need to use unreliable second-hand drives.